Serves 4-6 as a side dish. Prep: 30-40 min. No cooking
While the grill is heating up, make this refreshing salad to accompany whatever you are cooking. It is very versatile and makes any meal more festive.
1 ½ pounds tomatoes, a mix of larger tomatoes cut into wedges, and cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 ½ pounds melon, seeded, rind cut away, and cut into half crescents
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup medium to hot processed peppers
¼ cup white wine vinegar
Small handful basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
Fresh cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Put the tomatoes and melon in a large bowl.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Toss gently.
- Add the pickled peppers and vinegar. Toss again.
- Add the basil and ¼ cup olive oil and toss again.
- Add the fresh cheese right before serving.