Serves 4. Prep: 30 min. Cook: 20-30 minutes.
This recipe will go on your list of easy-to-prepare summer favorites. To change it up, use garbanzo beans instead of kidney, and add a tablespoon of capers and/or 1/3 cup Kalamata olives.
1 pound potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
⅓ pound or a good-sized handful green beans
Zest (finely minced peel) from 1 lemon
6 Tablespoons lemon juice
4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large clove garlic
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
½ cup red onion diced
¼ cup basil chopped fine
¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped fine
- In a large soup pot, bring 1 ½ quarts water to a boil.
- Add cubed potatoes and continue to boil until they are just fork tender.
- Strain and let set until cool.
- Put 2 inches of water in the pot, bring to a boil again and add the green beans.
- Continue to boil until just tender.
- Scoop out the beans with tongs or a strainer.
- Cut into ½ inch pieces.
- In a large salad bowl, whisk the lemon zest, juice, oil, garlic and salt to make a dressing.
- Add the potatoes, beans, red onion and herbs.
- Toss well.