Serves 4-6. Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30-40 min.
This is the simplest way to enjoy freshly harvested beets!
4 medium beets, more or less
2 ½ Tablespoons cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Cover beets with water in a heavy medium size sauce pan.
- Simmer until tender when pierced in the center with a knife.
- Drain and cool to warm. Then slip off the skins.
- Cut into ¼ inch slices.
- Whisk together vinegar, onion, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add oil in a slow stream whisking,
- Add warm beets and parsley.
- Toss and serve warm or at room temperature.