Either way you choose to prepare the squash will bring out the delicate, sweet flavor. Don’t be afraid to eat the skin, it is almost as tender as the flesh of the squash! Delicata is a great accompaniment to pork sausage or black beans.
#1 Sauteed Delicata
Serves two to four Prep: 15-20 min. Cook: 10 min.
1-2 Delicata squash (about 1 pound)
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
Optional: one fresh garlic clove, minced or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- To prepare the squash, cut it in half length-ways, and scoop out the seeds with a spoon
- Then cut it in slices (¼ inch) across the width
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium low heat
- Add squash pieces (maybe 8 at a time) and sauté turning once or twice until tender and golden brown
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt to taste. Enjoy!
#2 Roasted Delicata
Serves two to four Prep: 15 min. Cook: 15-20 min.
1-2 delicata squash (about 1 pound)
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and/or pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder and/or garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (or any herbs you like)
3 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To prepare squash, cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Then cut it in ¼ inch slices across the width.
- Put cut squash into a bowl and toss well with other ingredients.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and spread the squash evenly.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden and tender!