Serves 4. Prep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. per skillet batch.
Using a drizzle of lime juice sets off the lovely sweetness of the squash. Cilantro is optional, but adds a pungent note making this a good accompaniment to any bean dish.
2 delicata squash, ends trimmed, seeds removed, sliced into ¼ inch thick pieces
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt to taste
2 Anaheim chilies or other mild green chili of your choice, or one Jalapeno finely diced
1 large shallot thinly sliced
1 small bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Heat about a Tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet.
- Add as many squash rings as can comfortably fit in the skillet.
- Sauté turning once or twice until tender and golden brown.
- Set aside, sprinkle with salt. Continue this process until all the squash is cooked.
- In the meantime, combine the chili and shallots in a small bowl.
- Squeeze half the lime over the top. Add juice from the other half if it seems too dry. Let set while you finish the squash.
- Arrange the squash slices on a platter.
- Scatter the shallot/chili mixture over the top and then sprinkle the cilantro over the top.