Serves 4. Prep: 30 min. No cooking
Zucchini makes a wonderful stand-in for pasta, plus the color is so much more interesting. Serve this colorful dish alongside grilled fish or marinated, grilled tofu.
4 firm medium-size zucchini
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
1 bunch scallions sliced on a sharp angle
1 small handful basil leaves
1 small handful mint leaves
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons tamari or fish sauce
1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons cane sugar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Use a mandoline or potato peeler to slice the zucchini into thin ribbons.
- Toss the squash with the salt and place in a colander to draw out excess moisture.
- Let set for 30 minutes.
- Blot the salt and excess moisture from the squash and place in a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, scallions, basil and mint.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Toss well.