Serve Ratatouille with crusty loaves of bread on its own, or over rice, pasta, fish, or chicken.
¼ cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4-6 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 medium size eggplant, cubed
¼ cup dry red wine
¼ cup tomato paste stirred into 1 cup water
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp chopped fresh rosemary
Black pepper and sea salt to taste
2 medium red bell peppers, cored and chopped into large pieces
2 medium zucchinis (or yellow squash), cubed
3 large tomatoes, in chunks
Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onions and sauté for five minutes.
- Add garlic and bay leaf and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add eggplant, wine, tomato paste/water, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Mix well, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peppers, zucchini and fresh tomatoes.
- Add a bit more water if necessary.
- Continue to simmer in the covered pot until all the vegetables are tender to your liking.
- Top with your favorite cheese and fresh parsley.