Serves 4-6. Prep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
On a cool fall day, these delicious potato pancakes hit the spot. They are easy to make and very adaptable, serve with applesauce and sour cream or with a Sweet and Sour Cabbage Apple Salad. They also pair nicely with bacon, ham or white fish.
5 large potatoes, peeled
1 large onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup oil for frying
- Grate potatoes and onion
- Strain grated potatoes and onion through a colander, pressing out excess water
- Add eggs and flour, mix well
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a 10-inch skillet
- Place 1 large Tablespoon batter at a time into hot, sizzling oil
- Fry on one side for approximately 5 minutes or until golden brown
- Turn over and fry on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes
- Remove from pan and place on paper towels to drain excess oil
- Continue with remaining batter, adding more oil when necessary