Serves 4 to 6, Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
This is the ultimate comfort food soup and it is simple to make. Leeks are at their best in the early fall and new season potatoes are just coming out of the ground. What better combination to celebrate the new harvest?
1 pound potatoes, about 3 large, peeled and cubed
1 quart (32 ounces) veggie stock (chicken also works well)
4 medium leeks, trimmed
2/3 cup, or alternatives for coconut cream, Greek plain yoghurt, sour cream, cream fraiche, etc.
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- Put potatoes and stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Make a slit along the length of each leek, rinse well and slice thin.
- When potatoes are barely tender, stir in the leeks.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- If soup seems too thick, thin it down with a bit more broth.
- Stir in most of the cream.
- Ladle into a bowl and garnish with a swirl of cream and chopped chives.