1 bunch kale
1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3-6 cloves garlic, minced
4 medium size russet potatoes cut into ½ inch cubes
1 teaspoon sea salt
6-7 cups stock
3 tablespoons fresh parsley or thyme, chopped
- Wash kale and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions and sauté until transparent. Add the garlic,
then the potatoes. Stir and brown on a couple sides.
- Add the chopped kale. Stir into the cooking potatoes. Add the salt and stir again.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are soft and the kale is
tender. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove a cup or two of the soup, and puree it in a blender. Return it to the pot. Add the
- Remove the soup from the heat, and cover for a few minutes.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh herbs, or for non-vegetarians, add a minced sausage sautéed on the side, and/or grated cheese, or a dollop of yogurt.