Serves 4. Prep: 20-30 min. Cook: 30 min.
Here is a universal side dish that is particularly good with grilled beef or lamb. To make a vegetarian bowl dish meal, add about 1 ½ cups garbanzo beans. Even ½ cup black olives or 2 Tablespoons capers are a delicious addition.
½ pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1 ½ pounds small new season potatoes
¼ cup green onion or chives, minced
¼ cup fresh herbs of choice, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Fill a medium-size bowl with ice for the green beans after they’ve been blanched.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add the green beans and blanch until just tender.
- Put in ice bath to stop cooking.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water and cook until fork tender.
- Cool, and slice into bite-size pieces.
- Slice the green beans into quarters.
- In a large serving bowl combine all the remaining ingredients, whisk well.
- Add the beans and potatoes to the dressing.
- Let set for a while so the flavors can blend.