Serves 6. Prep: 40 min. Cook: 45-50 min.
The colors of this salad are a knock out, but the flavor is what really makes an impression! Serve as a side dish with grilled fish.
4 large or 8 small beets
1 bunch Swiss chard or spinach
¼ cup pumpkin seeds or walnuts
2 scallions, finely chopped
¼ pound feta cheese (optional)
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic or white wine vinegar
¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 Tablespoon fresh mint chopped
1 Tablespoon flat leaf parsley chopped
- Wash beets and place in a large pot covered with water.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until beets are tender. Set aside to cool.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds by placing seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat.
- When the seeds begin to puff up and give off a nutty aroma, they are ready.
- Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Remove Swiss chard stems and blanch the greens.
- Cut into bite size pieces. If using spinach just wash and cut into bite size pieces.
- Peel the beets and cut into small cubes.
- Combine the greens, beets, scallions and pumpkin seeds in a bowl.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and toss over the salad.
- Optional: Add crumbled feta cheese.