Makes 1 cup, Prep: 5 min. Cook: 10 min.
An appetizer dip or serve over baked potatoes
Greens from 1 medium-size bunch of carrots to make about 1 cup after blanching and chopping
½ cup unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
¼ cup plus 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Fill a medium size pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a medium size bowl with ice and water.
- When the water boils, add the carrot greens to the hot water.
- Push them down with tongs to be sure all get in the water.
- Boil for one minute.
- Drain the pot into a colander
- Transfer the greens to the ice bath with the tongs to stop the cooking.
- Let the greens cool completely then drain them.
- Squeeze any remaining water from the greens and roughly chop them.
- In a food processor pulse the greens, sunflower seeds, garlic, lemon juice and salt.
- Add the olive oil and process again until smooth.