Serves 6 as a side dish. Prep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
Both the colors and flavors of this vegetable side dish are festive; a perfect accompaniment to any main course!
4 large or 6 medium size beets
1 bunch kale, any variety
Zest from one lime
1-2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 large clove garlic, minced
¼ cup fresh basil or tarragon, chopped
1/3 cup feta, crumbled
- Cook the beets by your preferred method until they are fork tender.
- In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, bring ¼ inch water to a boil.
- Add the kale, and cover. Turn the heat down to a simmer
- Cook until tender and sweet (about 5 minutes).
- Immediately submerge in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Strain and chop into bite size pieces.
- Remove the skins from the beets.
- Cut beets into ½ inch chunks.
- Combine beets with the kale.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together.
- Toss dressing with the beets and kale.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.